Message From the President 2
The University of Hawai'i 5
Calendar 6-7
Undergraduate Education 8-
UHM General Education Core and Graduation Requirements 23-
Graduate Education 28-
Student Life 46-
Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid 59-
Degrees and Certificates 70-


Architecture 72-
Arts & Sciences, AMST-IT 77-
Arts & Sciences, JOUR-ZOOL 122-
Business Administration 176-
Engineering 208-
Hawaiian, Asian, and Pacific Studies 217-
Health Sciences and Social Welfare 226
Interdisciplinary Programs 227-
Law 234-
Medicine 237-
Nursing 256-
Ocean and Earth Science and Technology 267-
Outreach College 285-
Public Health 289-
ROTC Programs 293-
Social Work
Travel Industry Management 298-
Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources 304-
Instructional Support, Research, and Service Units  478-


Overview 325
A - E 326-
F - N 379-
O - Z 427-


Administration 484-
Endowed Chairs and Distinguished Professorships 486
Faculty 486-
Emeriti Faculty 511-
Instructional Support, Research, and Service Units Staff 518-


Appendix 528-
Glossary 533-
Campus Map

Technical problems?
Email us!

Last updated 6/28/99



Tuition, Fees,  and Financial Aid
Financial Aid

Financial Aid Services
Student Services Center 112
2600 Campus Road
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-7251
Fax: (808) 956-3985

Scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs are provided to eligible students by the federal and state governments and private donors. Some programs are based on merit or academic records, and others on demonstrated financial need.

The University encourages students who believe they may not be able to enroll or continue their education because they lack financial resources to apply for financial aid through the Financial Aid Services office.

The federal government is a major source of grants, loans, and work-study funds to undergraduate and graduate students. With the enactment of the Higher Education Amendment of 1992, applicants are required to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA) form to the federal processor for the determination of eligibility for federal, state, and institutional program funds.

In addition to the FAFSA, the University requires an institutional supplemental form. If you are a spring transfer student, financial aid transcripts from your previous college will also be required. If you have been selected for verification, you must submit federal tax forms, a verification worksheet, and other forms as required by Financial Aid Services. Students interested in applying for financial aid should write to the office for a financial aid packet containing instructions and forms.

The offer of aid may include funds from public and private sources, depending on the applicant's residency, degree of need, date of file completion, major, class level, and availability of funds. Recipients will be sent a copy of their rights and responsibilities, including the description of the type of funds awarded and disbursement procedures.


The priority deadline is March 1; however, applications will be accepted after that date with awards offered contingent on available funds.

Types of Financial Aid


Scholarships are awarded to exceptional UH Manoa students on the basis of academic excellence and exceptional promise; students in specific majors, colleges, or schools; Hawai'i residents; students of a particular class standing; or students with demonstrated financial need. Noteworthy scholarships include the following among others:

Regents Scholarship for Academic Excellence. Twenty scholarships of $4,000 per year plus full tuition are awarded to entering first-year students who are residents of Hawai'i and have a combined SAT score of at least 1200 and a high school GPA of 3.5 or better. This scholarship is renewable for four years upon maintenance of eligibility and includes an additional one-time $2,000 grant in the junior year for an approved travel abroad or exchange program. Contact the Office of Student Equity, Excellence, and Diversity for details.

Presidential Scholarship. Ten scholarships of $4,000 per year plus full tuition are awarded to juniors who have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.7, have demonstrated sustained progress in academic courses, show superior academic achievement or creative endeavor, and are residents of Hawai'i. This scholarship is renewable for one year upon maintenance of eligibility and includes a $2,000 one-time grant for academic travel during the summer of the junior year. Contact the Office of Student Equity, Excellence, and Diversity for details.

Nonresident Tuition Differential Waivers. UH Manoa offers students from certain Asian and Pacific jurisdictions waivers allowing them to pay resident tuition. The program encourages deserving individuals from Asian and Pacific areas to pursue advanced study in Hawai'i. Undergraduate students may apply to the International Student Services office. Graduate students should write to the Graduate Division for more information.

Pacific Asian Scholarship. The Pacific Asian Scholarship Program annually awards tuition waivers to students demonstrating superior academic performance (3.5 or better cumulative GPA) and pursuing a course of study important to the Pacific and Asian region. For more information, undergraduates should contact the Academic Services Office of the School of Hawaiian, Asian, and Pacific Studies. Graduate students should contact the Graduate Division for information.

Scholarship to Disadvantaged Students. This federal program is available to assist medical students with zero to minimal financial resources. FAFSA required. Contact the Financial Aid Services office for details.

ROTC Scholarships. Scholarships are awarded for up to four years to qualified applicants by the UH Manoa Army ROTC and Air Force ROTC programs. Scholarships cover tuition, books, laboratory fees, and a $100 tax-free monthly allowance during the school year. Contact respective campus ROTC programs (see "ROTC Programs").

Computer-Assisted Scholarship Help. The newest and most comprehensive source of scholarship information for prospective and continuing UH students is CA$H or Computer-Assisted Scholarship Help. CA$H contains information on more than a thousand scholarships and is accessible on the Web at Students may also contact a reference librarian at the nearest college for other publications listing scholarships and fellowships or check with the Financial Aid Services office and individual colleges or departments.


A grant is a type of federal or state financial aid that does not have to be repaid. Usually, these awards are based on financial need.

Tuition Waivers. Tuition waivers are awarded annually to qualified undergraduate and graduate students who are bona fide residents of Hawai'i and who qualify on the basis of financial need as determined by the FAFSA available at the Financial Aid Services office. Tuition waivers cover only tuition. Any remaining balances, including fees, must be paid by the appropriate tuition payment deadline. Tuition waivers cannot be used for Outreach College, Summer Session, night school, etc.

Other tuition waivers for residents and nonresidents are awarded to classified students who participate in special programs and/or meet criteria set by colleges/schools. Contact the specific department for details.

The tuition waiver program is subject to change by the Board of Regents.

Federal Pell Grant. This award to undergraduate students is based solely on financial need as determined by congressional methodology. The amount received depends on the degree of need and schedule of awards as determined by the federal government. FAFSA required. Contact the Financial Aid Services office for details.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant. This award is provided to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need who are also eligible for the Federal Pell Grant. FAFSA required. Contact the Financial Aid Services office for details.

Hawai'i Student Incentive Grant. This grant in the amount of tuition is awarded annually to qualified and needy resident full-time undergraduate students who have also been deemed eligible as Federal Pell Grant recipients.

Other Grants. Students are encouraged to contact a reference librarian at the nearest college for other publications listing grants for students. For additional information on these and other grants, check with the Financial Aid Services office or specific departments.

<- Previous |Return to Contents| Next ->