Message From the President 2
The University of Hawai'i 5
Calendar 6-7
Undergraduate Education 8-
UHM General Education Core and Graduation Requirements 23-
Graduate Education 28-
Student Life 46-
Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid 59-
Degrees and Certificates 70-


Architecture 72-
Arts & Sciences, AMST-IT 77-
Arts & Sciences, JOUR-ZOOL 122-
Business Administration 176-
Engineering 208-
Hawaiian, Asian, and Pacific Studies 217-
Health Sciences and Social Welfare 226
Interdisciplinary Programs 227-
Law 234-
Medicine 237-
Nursing 256-
Ocean and Earth Science and Technology 267-
Outreach College 285-
Public Health 289-
ROTC Programs 293-
Social Work
Travel Industry Management 298-
Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources 304-
Instructional Support, Research, and Service Units  478-


Overview 325
A - E 326-
F - N 379-
O - Z 427-


Administration 484-
Endowed Chairs and Distinguished Professorships 486
Faculty 486-
Emeriti Faculty 511-
Instructional Support, Research, and Service Units Staff 518-


Appendix 528-
Glossary 533-
Campus Map

Technical problems?
Email us!

Last updated 6/28/99



Tuition, Fees,  and Financial Aid

A financial aid package based on demonstrated financial need may include a long-term, low-interest federal, state, or institutional loan. Repayment of these loans begins after a student graduates, withdraws from school, or drops to less than half-time.

Federal Perkins Loan. Formerly called National Direct Student Loan, this loan is available to students with financial need. FAFSA required. Contact the Financial Aid Services office for details.

Health Profession Student Loan/Primary Care Loan. This federal loan is awarded to students in the School of Medicine who demonstrate exceptional financial need and commit to serve in a health profession. Parental income information and FAFSA are required. Contact the Financial Aid Services office for details.

Nursing Student Loan. This federal loan is awarded only to students in the School of Nursing who demonstrate financial need. FAFSA required.

Federal Family Educational Loans. These loans, formerly referred to as Guaranteed Student Loans, include the Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized) and the Federal Parents Loan for Undergraduate Students and are available through banks and other lending institutions. Interest accrued may be subsidized by the federal government, depending on the degree of financial need. FAFSA required. Contact the Financial Aid Services office for details.

State Higher Education Loan. This loan is available to bona fide residents of the state of Hawai'i who demonstrate financial need. FAFSA required.

Short-Term, Emergency Loans. These institutional loans are designed to meet temporary or emergency financial needs of registered students. Contact the Financial Aid Services office, the Graduate Student Organization, or specific departments.

Other Loans. Students are encouraged to contact the reference librarian at the nearest library for other publications listing private loans for students. For additional information on these and other loan programs, check with the Financial Aid Services office, UH Foundation, or specific departments.


The Federal Work-Study Program enables students to meet part of their financial need through part-time employment. The program is funded by the federal government with matching funds from the University. Employment may be on or off campus with nonprofit organizations. FWS earnings are not calculated as income when applying for financial aid.

Generally, students are provided the work-study program as a part of their financial aid package. The Student Employment and Cooperative Education Office coordinates the work-study program. Job opportunities are available in many fields and require skills ranging from entry-level to highly technical. Community service jobs are also available, including tutoring positions in the America Reads and Counts Challenge. For further information, see the "Student Life" section of this Catalog.

Graduate Assistantships

The University offers assistantships to graduates of accredited institutions of higher learning who have satisfactory scholastic records, an adequate undergraduate background in the major field, and evidence of a high level of English proficiency. Graduate assistants, chosen on a competitive basis, serve as part-time teaching or research assistants. All graduate assistants must be registered for and must complete at least 6 credit hours of degree-related course work each semester while holding the assistantship. Moreover, they must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA to continue in the position. The maximum course load typically is 9 credit hours. Master's candidates are generally limited to two years of service as a graduate assistant; doctoral candidates are generally limited to four years of service. The period of service for each year for teaching assistants is typically from two weeks prior to the beginning of instruction through spring commencement; research assistants normally serve for 11 months. Graduate assistants are awarded tuition waivers, but they are not exempt from the general fees, special course fees listed in the Catalog, and the Graduate Student Organization fee. Applications should be sent to the chair of the appropriate department before February 1. Each application must be accompanied by three letters of recommendation from former professors or employers.

All applicants for graduate assistantships must be admitted as potential degree candidates to qualify for appointments. Applicants for assistantships are therefore advised to apply for admission to the Graduate Division prior to the time consideration for the assistantship is requested.

Information on assistantships and application forms may be requested from the chair of the appropriate graduate field of study.

Applicants are advised that the University has joined the Council of Graduate Schools in the United States in approving the following resolution:

Acceptance of an offer of financial aid (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by an actual or prospective graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor. In those instances in which the student accepts the offer before April 15 and subsequently desires to withdraw, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made. Similarly, an offer by an institution after April 15 is conditional on presentation by the student of the written release from any previously accepted offer.

Graduate Fellowships

The Graduate Division has available general information on fellowship competitions open to American graduate students and administered by outside foundations or agencies. For application purposes, it is important to distinguish between (1) those awards made directly by the sponsoring agency to individual students and administered by an institution and (2) those awards made by the sponsoring agency to an institution to be awarded, in turn, to students for study at the specific institution.

Awards in the first category are generally made by national organizations and allow students to choose their institution of affiliation. Applications are submitted by students to the sponsor, usually in early fall preceding the year graduate study is to begin. The National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowships program is an example.
Awards in the second category, which vary in source from federal to local, include a large number of programs. At the University of Hawai'i, nominations for these awards are generally made by the fields of study that are eligible. In some cases (e.g., Fulbright awards), the student may apply through the Graduate Division. Students are urged to exercise their initiative to explore the various possibilities. Initial inquiries should be directed to the chair of the field of study.

Information on fellowships is available at Spalding 354D.

<- Previous |Return to Contents| Next ->