Message From the President 2
The University of Hawai'i 5
Calendar 6-7
Undergraduate Education 8-
UHM General Education Core and Graduation Requirements 23-
Graduate Education 28-
Student Life 46-
Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid 59-
Degrees and Certificates 70-


Architecture 72-
Arts & Sciences, AMST-IT 77-
Arts & Sciences, JOUR-ZOOL 122-
Business Administration 176-
Engineering 208-
Hawaiian, Asian, and Pacific Studies 217-
Health Sciences and Social Welfare 226
Interdisciplinary Programs 227-
Law 234-
Medicine 237-
Nursing 256-
Ocean and Earth Science and Technology 267-
Outreach College 285-
Public Health 289-
ROTC Programs 293-
Social Work
Travel Industry Management 298-
Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources 304-
Instructional Support, Research, and Service Units  478-


Overview 325
A - E 326-
F - N 379-
O - Z 427-


Administration 484-
Endowed Chairs and Distinguished Professorships 486
Faculty 486-
Emeriti Faculty 511-
Instructional Support, Research, and Service Units Staff 518-


Appendix 528-
Glossary 533-
Campus Map

Technical problems?
Email us!

Last updated 6/28/99



Undergraduate Education
Admission of Returning Students

A student who experiences a break in enrollment without having taken a leave of absence or who has been suspended or dismissed must apply for readmission. A student who has attended another college or university subsequent to attendance at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa must apply as a transfer student (see "Admission of Transfer Applicants" ). Readmission is not automatic because of enrollment limitations and changes in academic regulations. Students who are readmitted will be subject to the General Education Core, major, and graduation requirements in effect at the time of readmission. Questions concerning readmission should be directed to the student academic services office in the college to which the student is applying.

Admission of Unclassified Students

Persons who wish to take Manoa campus courses but do not wish to enroll in degree programs may apply for admission as unclassified students through the Admissions and Records Office. Undergraduate applicants must meet the admission standards for a regular classified, degree-seeking undergraduate. Post-baccalaureate applicants must submit official verification of a baccalaureate or an advanced degree earned at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university or at a foreign university recognized by the University of Hawai'i at Manoa.

Classified applicants receive admission priority; thus, unclassified applicants may be denied admission because of enrollment restrictions.

Persons interested only in taking courses offered by Outreach College should refer to the "Outreach College" section of the Catalog or should inquire at Outreach College, Krauss 101, 2500 Dole Street, Honolulu, HI 96822.

Early Admission Program 

High school students who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement, have completed most of their high school graduation requirements, and can no longer benefit from high school offerings may enroll concurrently in Manoa campus courses while enrolled in high school. Normally, eligibility will be restricted to high school juniors and seniors.

Students wishing to take advantage of this program should follow the procedures for "Admission of Freshmen." Eligible students must present outstanding high school grades and SAT-I or ACT scores, be recommended by school authorities, and have the permission of their parent(s) or legal guardian to participate in the Early Admission Program.

Regular Manoa campus admission deadlines, normal tuition and fee schedules, course prerequisites, and admission requirements other than high school graduation all apply to the Early Admission Program.

Application Procedures

To obtain an admission application form and/or related information, prospective students should consult their high school counselors (in Hawai'i) or write to the Admissions and Records Office, 2600 Campus Road, Honolulu, HI 96822. The application is valid only for the semester specified. For deadline information refer to the "Calendar."
For information regarding application procedures for non-U.S. citizens and/or nonnative speakers of English, refer to "Admission of International Applicants."


Applications for the fall semester are accepted between November 1 and June 1; for the spring semester between June 1 and November 1. Some professional schools and individual programs may have earlier deadlines. Consult the appropriate student academic services dean for specific deadlines.

In addition to the application form, applicants must submit official test scores and arrange to have official transcripts of all schools, colleges, universities, and business and postsecondary schools attended sent directly from each institution involved. Unofficial transcripts, hand-carried transcripts, faxed transcripts, and student copies of transcripts or grade reports will not be accepted. All other required credentials, as noted in the application, should also be sent with the application form. No applications, even those received before the closing date, will be acted upon after enrollment is filled for a program. Applications and documents submitted to the University are deemed the property of the University and therefore will not be returned to the applicant nor be available for copying.

Application Fee

Applications must be accompanied by a non-refundable, nontransferable $25 application fee. The application and fee are valid only for the semester specified on the application. The fee should be paid by certified check or money order made payable to the "University of Hawai'i." Do not send currency. Applicants from foreign countries should send an international money order payable in U.S. dollars.

Special Instructions

Student Identification Numbers
The University of Hawai'i at Manoa requires the use of U.S. social security numbers as student identification numbers. A U.S. citizen should indicate his or her social security number on his or her application. The University issues student identification numbers to students who are not eligible to receive social security numbers.

Student Ethnicity Data

Students are urged to supply racial/ethnic information on applications and other forms when requested, since the University must provide a number of federal, state, and educational agencies with this data each year. Whenever such information is lacking, University personnel must make an educated guess. Self-identification is preferable.

Change of Address

Students are responsible for keeping the University's Admissions and Records Office (Student Services 001) informed of their correct mailing address.

Financial aid applicants and recipients are responsible for keeping the Financial Aid Services Office (Student Services 112) informed of their correct mailing address.


By University policy, all applicants for admission are required to list all current and previous enrollment in any postsecondary institution on the application form. Applicants for admission who fail to inform the University of such enrollment at the time of application or who submit, or have submitted on their behalf, any required information or document that is inaccurate, incorrect, or fraudulent or that has been altered without proper authorization may be denied admission to the university. If the omissions and/or alterations are discovered after the student is enrolled, the student's admission may be rescinded and his or her enrollment canceled. Credits earned at any unreported school or college are not accepted in transfer. The student or prospective student may also be referred to the Student Conduct Committee for possible disciplinary sanctions.

<- Previous |Back to Contents| Next ->