Message From the President 2
The University of Hawai'i 5
Calendar 6-7
Undergraduate Education 8-
UHM General Education Core and Graduation Requirements 23-
Graduate Education 28-
Student Life 46-
Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid 59-
Degrees and Certificates 70-


Architecture 72-
Arts & Sciences, AMST-IT 77-
Arts & Sciences, JOUR-ZOOL 122-
Business Administration 176-
Engineering 208-
Hawaiian, Asian, and Pacific Studies 217-
Health Sciences and Social Welfare 226
Interdisciplinary Programs 227-
Law 234-
Medicine 237-
Nursing 256-
Ocean and Earth Science and Technology 267-
Outreach College 285-
Public Health 289-
ROTC Programs 293-
Social Work
Travel Industry Management 298-
Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources 304-
Instructional Support, Research, and Service Units  478-


Overview 325
A - E 326-
F - N 379-
O - Z 427-


Administration 484-
Endowed Chairs and Distinguished Professorships 486
Faculty 486-
Emeriti Faculty 511-
Instructional Support, Research, and Service Units Staff 518-


Appendix 528-
Glossary 533-
Campus Map

Technical problems?
Email us!

Last updated 6/28/99



Undergraduate Education
Changes in Registration

All deadlines for adding courses, partial withdrawal, or complete withdrawal are subject to change. Refer to the current Schedule of Classes for applicable deadlines and procedures.

To Add a Course

Courses may be added during the first 10 days of instruction.

To Drop a Course (Partial Withdrawal)

A course may be dropped through the sixth day of instruction without notation on the student's record. Thereafter, grades of W will be posted. The colleges and schools differ in their policies, but, in general, a course may be dropped from the seventh day of instruction up to Friday of the ninth week of instruction with the consent of the instructor and the approval of the student's college or school dean.

After the ninth week no withdrawals are permitted except for unusual or extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student. These withdrawals require the consent of the student's college or school dean, and consent may be given only after the dean consults the instructor.

If students do not officially complete the withdrawal procedure, an F or NC, as appropriate, may be awarded by the instructor in place of a passing grade.

Students are advised that dropping courses after the sixth day of instruction may jeopardize their chances for registration in the same courses in succeeding semesters. Students are also advised that many colleges, especially graduate and professional schools, do not look with favor on records with excessive W grades. Employers and scholarship grantors share this attitude.

Complete Withdrawal

Students withdrawing completely from the University up to the sixth day of instruction will have this withdrawal action, but not their course registration, noted on their records. These students will not have a W grade for each course noted on their records.

Students withdrawing completely from the University from the seventh day through the ninth week of instruction will have a W grade for each course noted on their records.
After the ninth week complete withdrawals are not permitted except for unusual or extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student. These withdrawals require the approval of the student's college or school dean. Students who receive approval will also have a W grade for each course noted on their records.

Applications for complete withdrawal are available at the student academic services office of the student's college or school. Signatures as indicated on the form must be obtained, and the completed form must be turned in to the Manoa campus Cashier's Office. The official date of withdrawal is the date recorded by the Cashier's Office.

The refund schedule for withdrawals is noted in the "Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid" section of this Catalog.

When withdrawing, a continuing, classified undergraduate student who has completed at least one semester at the Manoa campus may choose to apply for a leave of absence. Students who do not obtain a leave of absence are required to apply for readmission by submitting the Common Application Form to the Admissions and Records Office by the specified deadline and be readmitted before they register.

Credits and Grades

Work accomplished by students is usually recognized in terms of credit hours, grades, grade points, and grade point averages.

Minimum credit requirements for baccalaureate degrees are set by each college or school. Students must have a minimum of a C average (a minimum GPA of 2.0). Some colleges, schools, and degree programs have higher requirements. Students should check with their college or school adviser.

Credit Hours

Credit hours (or credits) for course work are determined on a semester or semester-equivalent basis for work satisfactorily accomplished. Credit hours granted for specific courses are listed in this Catalog and in the Schedule of Classes published each semester.


Grades awarded are A, B, C, D, F, CR (credit), NC (no credit), I (incomplete), and L (audit). A grade of A indicates excellent achievement, B above average, C average, D minimal passing, and F failure.

A grade of I is given to a student who has not completed a small but important part of a semester's work if the instructor believes that the incomplete was caused by conditions beyond the student's control. Each student receiving a grade of I should consult his or her instructor promptly to determine the steps to be taken and the deadline to complete the course work for changing the grade of I to a final grade. The designated November and April deadlines (see the "Calendar") refer to the dates by which instructors must report adjusted grades. Student deadlines for completing their course work must be adjusted accordingly.

An instructor recording a grade of I on the final grade sheet will also record the grade that will replace the I if the work is not made up by the deadline; that grade is computed on the basis of what grades or other evidence the instructor does have, averaged together with Fs or zeros for all incomplete work (including the final examination, if it has not been taken). If the work is completed prior to the deadline, the instructor will report a change of grade, taking the completed work into consideration. If the instructor does not submit a grade to replace the incomplete, the grade of I will be replaced by an F or an NC (as appropriate) as of the April or November deadline. All grades of I must be cleared by a student's college prior to graduation.

Credit/No Credit Option

The credit/no credit option encourages students to broaden their education by venturing into subjects outside their fields of specialization without risking a relatively low grade. The CR designation denotes C-caliber work or better. However, students should be aware that some colleges and many graduate and professional schools evaluate CR as C and NC as F. The same is true of some employers and scholarship awarding agencies.

Certain courses may be designated as mandatory CR/NC. In addition to any such mandatory CR/NC courses, no more than 40 credit hours of CR may be counted toward the degree. Neither CR nor NC is computed in the grade point average. The CR/NC option must be exercised during the registration period. The CR/NC option is limited to elective courses; this option is not allowed for any course taken to fulfill a University, college, school, or department non-elective requirement, with the exception of those courses offered for mandatory CR/NC.

Grade Points

Grade points are given for all courses in which grades of A, B, C, D, or F are reported. They are computed as follows: for each credit hour received in a course, 4 grade points are granted if the grade is A; 3 if B; 2 if C; 1 if D; and 0 if F.

Students entering as undergraduates are not given grade points for work done outside UH Manoa.

Grade Point Averages

Grade point averages (GPA) are determined by dividing the total number of grade points by the total number of credit hours for which a student has received letter grades (excluding I, NC, CR, W, or L).

The semester GPA is calculated on any one semester's credits and grade points. The cumulative GPA is calculated on all such work taken at UH Manoa.

Repeating Passed Courses

Students may repeat for a letter grade a course in which they received a D grade. No additional credit toward the degree will be granted; the two grades for the course will be included in the GPA. Students may not repeat a course for which they received a grade of C or better or CR.

Repeating Failed Courses

Students may repeat, for a letter grade only, any course in which an F was received. If this is done at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa, credit hours and grade points for each attempt are included in the GPA. Students may repeat (but not for a letter grade) CR/NC courses in which they received a grade of NC.

Duplicate Credits

Academic credit is generally not awarded for courses or examinations that duplicate material for which academic credit has already been given. Repeating passed courses (see above) yields no additional credit, nor does taking more than one version of a cross-listed course. (In the Course Descriptions, less obvious duplications may contain notations like, "credit not given for both 200 and 201"; "credit for only one of . . ."; etc.)

Graduate Credit for Seniors

Seniors at the Manoa campus may earn credit toward an advanced degree for some courses completed during their last semester as undergraduates provided that (a) the courses taken are in excess of the requirements for the bachelor's degree and (b) such courses fulfill requirements in the prospective graduate field. To obtain such credit, students are required to file a petition form available at the Graduate Division at the time of registration for the courses. For more information, refer to the "Graduate Education" section of this Catalog.


Backtracking is not permitted. Additional credit and grade points are not awarded for lower-level courses if they are taken after or concurrently with the advanced course for which they are explicitly or implicitly prerequisites.

Students should direct any questions about the applicability of this policy to the student academic services office of their college or school.

Excess Credit Policy

A student who by the end of any semester has earned 24 credit hours beyond those required for graduation and has fulfilled all specific program and University requirements may be graduated by action of the student's college or school.

Unless an extension has been granted by the college's or school's student services dean, students may be put on probation if they have taken 24 credit hours beyond those required for graduation but still have not completed their specific program requirements.

Grade Reports

Grade reports are mailed to students after the end of each semester/session. Grades are also available by touch-tone telephone or by personal computer connected to the World Wide Web. Grades are available approximately two weeks after the end of the final examination period each semester. Grades for courses taken through Outreach College do not follow this schedule.

<- Previous | Back to Contents | Next ->