Message From the President 2
The University of Hawai'i 5
Calendar 6-7
Undergraduate Education 8-
UHM General Education Core and Graduation Requirements 23-
Graduate Education 28-
Student Life 46-
Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid 59-
Degrees and Certificates 70-


Architecture 72-
Arts & Sciences, AMST-IT 77-
Arts & Sciences, JOUR-ZOOL 122-
Business Administration 176-
Engineering 208-
Hawaiian, Asian, and Pacific Studies 217-
Health Sciences and Social Welfare 226
Interdisciplinary Programs 227-
Law 234-
Medicine 237-
Nursing 256-
Ocean and Earth Science and Technology 267-
Outreach College 285-
Public Health 289-
ROTC Programs 293-
Social Work
Travel Industry Management 298-
Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources 304-
Instructional Support, Research, and Service Units  478-


Overview 325
A - E 326-
F - N 379-
O - Z 427-


Administration 484-
Endowed Chairs and Distinguished Professorships 486
Faculty 486-
Emeriti Faculty 511-
Instructional Support, Research, and Service Units Staff 518-


Appendix 528-
Glossary 533-
Campus Map

Technical problems?
Email us!

Last updated 6/28/99



Undergraduate Education

Course Examinations

Final examinations are required in all undergraduate courses (except writing courses, directed reading, creative arts, research, seminars, internships, and field experiences) and must be taken during the scheduled examination period. No examinations (other than laboratory tests and short quizzes) are allowed during the two calendar weeks before the last day of instruction. Take home final exams may be distributed at any time but may not be required to be turned in before finals. The schedule of final examinations is published in the Schedule of Classes.

Language Courses

Students who plan to continue the study of a language begun elsewhere must take a placement test to determine the course in which they should enroll.

Native speakers of a foreign language or bilingual speakers may not enroll in nor receive credit for courses in that language. Such courses are designed for nonnative speakers.

For specific regulations governing courses that native or bilingual speakers may take for credit, students should consult the department chairs of European languages, East Asian languages, or Hawaiian and Indo-Pacific languages.

Advanced Placement Examination

The advanced placement examinations are administered in high schools by the Educational Testing Service for the College Entrance Examination Board for students who have completed specific college-level courses in high school. For the University's credit policy, students should consult the Admissions and Records Office or their student academic services office.

Credit by Examination

Students who wish credit by examination for basic courses in calculus, general biology, general chemistry, economics, English literature, psychology, and sociology should consult the Counseling and Student Development Center. Students apply to the center, pay the fee, and take the corresponding general or subject examination under the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP). A satisfactory score on these examinations, as determined by the appropriate department, yields course credit. However, students wishing CLEP general examination credit must take the exam before they have completed 24 credit hours of college-level work.

If a written exam is appropriate in other courses, it is prepared under the auspices of the department concerned, is more comprehensive than the usual "final examination," and is designed to serve as the scholastic equivalent of the course.

Applicants must be enrolled classified students; must present evidence that they have a mastery of the content of the courses (but have not received college credit); must apply, with department approval, to the dean's office by the specified deadline; and must pay the current fee. Applications are available in the college's or school's student academic services office.

Courses passed by examination do not carry grades or grade points.

Recognition of International Baccalaureate

The University of Hawai'i at Manoa recognizes the international baccalaureate for course credit. Students should submit higher-level examination scores to the Admissions and Records Office. Course credit is granted for acceptable scores. Contact the Admissions and Records Office for more information.

Academic Programs

Undergraduate Certificate Programs

The University offers a number of undergraduate certificate programs, some of which are interdisciplinary. Generally, certificates are awarded to students who take at least 12-15 credit hours of specified courses. 

Undergraduate certificate programs are offered in the following areas:

  • Aging
  • Environmental Studies
  • Ethnic Studies
  • European Languages
  • Hawaiian and Indo-Pacific Languages
  • Marine Option
  • Peace Studies
  • Russian Studies
  • Women's Studies

Bachelor's Degree


The baccalaureate degree program provides the student with a coherent undergraduate education that includes a comprehensive set of integrated learning opportunities. There are three basic components to undergraduate education: (a) the University-wide General Education Core requirements, which are usually completed during the first two years of the University experience; (b) individual college or school requirements; and (c) an academic specialization comprising a major, as well as electives that complement and enrich the other requirements.


General Education Core and Graduation Requirements. The General Education Core and graduation requirements are based on the conviction that an educated person has access to a shared body of knowledge; a comprehension of the major divisions of learning; and an understanding of the commonality in our ways of thinking, of experiencing self, and of acquiring new knowledge and skills. The common body of knowledge focuses broadly on heritage; values; political, economic, and social life; and a relationship with nature. Its study requires critical reading and listening, careful judgment, and clear exposition. The common thread in general education is the interconnectedness of human knowledge. See the "Manoa General Education Core and Graduation Requirements" section for more information.

College or School Requirements. Colleges or schools may specify which General Education Core courses should be taken to meet their requirements. They may also have additional requirements. Students should refer to specific college or school sections for more information. 

Major or Academic Specialization Requirements. Each program leading to the bachelor's degree is built around a field of concentration-the major, which consists of a specific number of credit hours and required courses in a particular field or discipline, together with related courses in other subjects that are associated with and contribute to that discipline.

Students must satisfy the degree requirements for the selected major and, if applicable, the minor or concentration selected. Detailed information can be found in the appropriate major or academic specialization sections.

Minor Requirements. Limited concentrations of courses in an area other than the major (i.e., a minor) are offered in some programs. A minor is defined as relating to an approved baccalaureate degree, with courses completed in or coordinated by a single academic department. A minor course of study consists of a minimum of 15 credit hours of non-introductory course work (200-level courses that have a college-level course prerequisite and upper division courses) that is completed with a grade of C or better.

Minors are currently offered in American studies, art, Asian studies, botany, chemistry, computer science, dance, economics, geography, geology and geophysics (four concentrations), Hawaiian, history, mathematics, microbiology, music, philosophy, physics, political science, religion, sociology, speech, theatre, and zoology.

<- Previous |Back to Contents| Next ->