2404 Maile Way
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-8377
Fax: (808) 956-9640
Dean: David McClain
Associate Dean: Jack Suyderhoud
Assistant Dean: Merrianne Bieler
The College of Business Administration (CBA) prepares students for business leadership in Hawai'i and the Pacific Basin. Students receive a solid foundation, both theoretical and practical, in the structures, functions, and objectives of business enterprise. The college provides the only degrees in business (BBA and MBA) in the state of Hawai'i that are accredited by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)*. The primary emphases of CBA are international business and business applications of advanced technology.
The college offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees, including the bachelor of business administration (BBA), the master of business administration (MBA), the master of accounting (MAcc), the executive MBA (EMBA), the Japan-focused MBA (JEMBA), the China-focused MBA (CHEMBA), the PhD in international management and the PhD in communication and information sciences. Several professional development programs are also offered through CBA's Asia Pacific Center for Executive Development.
The International Association for Management Education
The mission of the College of Business Administration is:
1. To educate students so that they will achieve their professional and personal goals and contribute effectively and ethically to society and their organizations;
2. To educate ourselves and others through research;
3. To serve the community through the college's graduates and through its professional and civic activities;
4. To be relevant to Hawai'i and international in its vision; and
5. To aspire to continuous improvement in all its activities.
The special role of CBA in the University is to serve as the center of advanced graduate and professional studies in business administration while emphasizing research and providing excellence in undergraduate programs.
Accreditation and Affiliations
CBA is accredited by AACSB* and is a member of the Graduate Management Admissions Council (GMAC).
Bachelor's Degrees: BBA with concentrations in accounting, finance, human resources management, international business, management, management information systems, marketing, and real estate, as well as a flexible program. (A concentration negotiated with a faculty committee is available to superior classified students. Inquire at the CBA Office of Student Academic Services for details.)
Master's Degrees: MAcc, MBA, Executive MBA, Japan-focused MBA, China-focused MBA
Doctoral Degrees: PhD in international management, PhD
in communication and information sciences
Advising for undergraduate students is available in the Office of Student Academic Services in BusAd B101, phone: (808) 956-8215, or e-mail:
email@example.com; advising for graduate students is available in B201, phone: (808) 956-8266, or e-mail:
The College of Business Administration offers a professional, upper division program designed to give students a broad liberal arts background and a sound education in the essentials of business management. The BBA degree program, therefore, is comprised of three integral parts: (a) general education, (b) business fundamentals, and (c) a specialized major area of business. Students may select a major that complements their interests, aptitude, and career goals from such fields as accounting, finance, human resources management, international business, management, management information systems, marketing, and real estate. A double major and/or minor are also options, as well as a flexible major program.
Students transfer into CBA upon the successful completion of the following admission requirements:
1. Minimum of 55 credit hours of college-level work (junior standing);
2. Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 in all courses attempted (combined UH Manoa and transfer GPA from all other colleges attended) and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at UH Manoa (if courses have been attempted at UH Manoa). If 30 or more credits at UH Manoa with a 2.7 cumulative GPA have been completed, the transfer GPA will not be used to determine admission;
3. Completion of the following pre-business courses with a combined GPA of at least 2.5, with no grade below C (pre-business courses may be repeated only if the grade earned is below a C): ENG 100, 101, 109, 200, or ELI 100; SP 151 or 251; ACC 201 and 202; AREC 210, QM 250, or MATH 203, 241 or 251; and ECON 130 and 131;
4. Minimum grade of C in ICS 101 and 101L (or equivalent); and
5. If three or more business courses (or equivalents) beyond the pre-business courses (e.g., business law, statistics, management, etc.) have been attempted, a combined GPA of at least 2.5 is required in those courses.
Students interested in applying to CBA should contact its Office of Student Academic Services for current information on admission and program requirements.