Home About UH Academic Calendar Courses Undergraduate Education Graduate Education Degrees, Minors, & Certificates Colleges, Schools, & Academic Units


Tuition, Fees, and Expenses

Regular Tuition Schedule 2005-2006

Additional Fees and Expanses

Financial Obligations

Refunds of Tuition and Fees

Residency for Tuition Purposes

WICHE Programs




Residency for Tuition Purposes

Students who do not qualify on the first day of instruction as bona fide residents of the state of Hawai‘i for tuition purposes pay the nonresident tuition. An official determination of residency status is made at the time of application. Applicants may be required to provide documentation to verify residency status. Once classified as a nonresident, students continue to be so classified during their enrollment at the University until they present satisfactory evidence to the residency officer that proves residency. For definition of Hawai‘i residency for tuition purposes, statutory exemptions, etc., refer to “Campus Policies.”

WICHE Programs

Bachman 112
2444 Dole Street
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-6625

UH Manoa participates in three exchange programs of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE).

Through the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program, a limited number of students from participating states who are not residents of Hawai‘i may enroll at UH Manoa in designated programs at a reduced level tuition (plus other fees that are paid by all students). WUE students do not pay the higher charge for nonresident tuition. (Hawai‘i residents may enroll under the same terms in designated institutions and programs in other participating states.) Hawai‘i residents may obtain information about WUE programs in other states from the WICHE Certifying Officer for Hawai‘i (see the location above); from participating institutions; or from the WICHE Student Exchange Program, P.O. Drawer 9752, Boulder, CO 80301-9752; Tel: (303) 541-0214; e-mail: info-sep@wiche.edu.

The School of Architecture, the William S. Richardson School of Law, the Library and Information Science Program (located in the Department of Information and Computer Sciences), the John A. Burns School of Medicine and the School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene participate in the WICHE-administered Professional Student Exchange Program (PSEP). PSEP allows legal residents of the states of Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming (states without a professional school in one or more of the above fields) to enjoy Hawai‘i-resident status for admission and tuition purposes at UH Manoa. Students who receive certification from their home states receive preferential admission consideration and, if accepted, are charged Hawai‘i-resident tuition rates. To be certified for PSEP, students must write to the WICHE certifying officer in their home state for the proper application forms at least one year in advance. State eligibility requirements vary, and the number of students funded by each state depends upon appropriations by the state’s legislature. For addresses of state certifying officers contact the Director, Student Exchange Program, Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education, P.O. Drawer 9752, Boulder, CO 80301-9752; tel. (303) 541-0214; e-mail: info-sep@wiche.edu.

UH Manoa also participates in the WICHE Regional Graduate Programs agreement. Under this arrangement, legal residents of the 13 western states listed above will be charged resident tuition if they meet requirements for admission in specific graduate programs. Approved fields are East Asian languages and literatures (MA and PhD), natural resources and environmental management (MS and PhD), tropical medicine in the biomedical sciences (MS and PhD), Asian theater and dance (MA, MFA, and PhD), tropical entomology (MS and PhD), tropical plant and soil sciences (MS and PhD), oceanography (MS and PhD), second language acquisition (PhD), and Asian and comparative philosophy (MA and PhD). For detailed information, contact the appropriate graduate chair or see the respective field of study listings at the Graduate Division office.