Home About UH Academic Calendar Courses Undergraduate Education Graduate Education Degrees, Minors, & Certificates Colleges, Schools, & Academic Units


















Academic Distinction

Graduating with Honors

Honors degrees are granted only to participants in the UH Manoa Honors Program (see “Colleges of Arts and Sciences”).

Graduating with Distinction

Graduating seniors not in the Honors Program who have completed 30 or more credit hours of work at the UH with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 are eligible for graduation “with distinction” subject to the following stipulations:

  1. The 30 or more credit hours at UH Manoa must come from courses carrying grade points (this excludes CR/NC);
  2. The cumulative GPA of the total college work (which encompasses academic work at UH Manoa and all other colleges and universities, if any) must be at least 3.5. This academic work includes both transferable and nontransferable credits carrying grade points but excludes CR/NC or other non-letter grade options such as pass/fail; and
  3. Candidates for second degrees are not eligible.

Honor Societies

Alpha Epsilon, National Honor Society for Extension Service
Alpha Kappa Delta, International Sociology Honor Society
Alpha Omega Alpha, National Honor Society in Medicine
Beta Alpha Psi, National Accounting Honor Society
Beta Gamma Sigma, National Business Honor Society
Beta Phi Mu, International Library Science Honor Society
Chi Epsilon, National Civil Engineering Honor Society
Delta Phi Alpha, National German Honor Society
Epsilon Sigma Phi, National Extension Honor Society
Eta Kappa Nu, National Electrical Engineering Honor Society
Eta Sigma Delta, International Hospitality Management Honor Society
Gamma Sigma Delta, National Agriculture and Human Resources Honor Society
Golden Key National Honor Society, National Undergraduate Honor Society
Kappa Tau Alpha, National Journalism Honor Society
Lambda Delta, Freshmen Honor Society
Mortar Board, Senior Honor Society
Mu Kappa Tau, Marketing National Honor Society
Omicron Delta Epsilon, International Honor Society in Economics
Phi Alpha Theta, National Honor Society in History
Phi Beta Kappa, National Liberal Arts and Sciences Honor Society
Phi Delta Kappa, National Education Honor Society
Phi Eta Sigma, National Freshmen Honor Society
Phi Kappa Phi, National Honor Society (general)
Phi Theta Kappa, International Honor Society for Two-Year Colleges
Phi Upsilon Omicron, National Home Economics Honor Society
Pi Delta Phi, National French Honor Society
Pi Kappa Lambda, National Music Honor Society
Pi Lambda Theta, National Education Honor Society
Pi Sigma Alpha, National Political Science Honor Society
Pi Tau Sigma, National Mechanical Engineering Honor Society
Psi Chi, National Honor Society in Psychology
Sigma Delta Pi, National Spanish Honor Society
Sigma Phi Alpha, National Dental Hygiene Honor Society
Sigma Pi Sigma, National Physics Honor Society
Sigma Theta Tau, National Honor Society in Nursing
Sigma Xi The Scientific Research Society, National Sciences Honor Society
Tau Beta Pi, National Engineering Honor Society

For further information on these honor societies, contact the appropriate academic unit.

Academic Probation, Suspension, and Dismissal

All undergraduates and unclassified students who fail to meet the minimum academic requirements of the UH Manoa or their college, school, or program may be placed on probation, suspended, or dismissed. The guidelines that follow are generally applied. Further information may be obtained from the student academic services office of the student’s college or school.

Undergraduate and unclassified students seeking exemption for cause from regulations and requirements contained in this Catalog should consult the dean of student academic services of their college or school. The UH Manoa reserves the right to withhold the degree or to request the withdrawal of a student for cause.


Students may be placed on academic probation at the end of any semester in which their cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 or in which they fail to maintain the minimum academic requirements of their college, school, or program. Probationary students continue work at UH Manoa but must achieve a current GPA of at least 2.0 in each probationary semester to be allowed further registration. Failure to meet these conditions may result in suspension or dismissal.

Unless an extension has been granted by the college or school’s student academic services dean, students may be put on probation if they have taken 24 credit hours beyond those required for graduation but still have not completed their specific program requirements.

Regulations governing academic probation will be applied at the end of each semester.


Students may be suspended when they fail to achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 1.7 after attempting 24 credit hours or when they fail to meet the terms of probation.

Students registered for the first term of summer session or for Outreach College’s winter or summer accelerated session at the time of the suspension may choose to complete that term or withdraw within five working days after notification of suspension.

Regulations governing academic suspension are applied at the end of each semester.

Applications for Return from Suspension

Students who wish to return after suspension should apply to the Office of Admissions and Records—for the fall semester by the initial deadline of February 1 or final deadline of May 1, and for the spring semester by the initial deadline of September 1 or final deadline of October 1.

Suspended students who attend another institution will be considered “transfer students” when reapplying to the UH and must meet all transfer requirements. They will have their work evaluated by the college or school in order to determine eligibility for readmission.

Students who take no courses after being suspended for the required one semester are eligible to be readmitted into the college or school from which they have been suspended provided they submit an application form by the official deadline. However, readmission is not automatic if the student stays out beyond the required period.
Students readmitted after suspension are placed on probation and must meet the terms and conditions of probation as specified above. Failure to do so will result in dismissal.


Students who have been suspended and who subsequently fail to maintain the minimum academic requirements of UH Manoa or their college, school, or program or fail to meet the terms of probation may be dismissed. Such students will be readmitted only in unusual circumstances. Students admitted on probation may be dismissed if they fail to maintain the minimum academic requirements or to meet the terms of probation.

Regulations governing academic dismissal are applied at the end of each semester.

Once dismissed, a student is not eligible for readmission to any degree- or credit-bearing program at UH Manoa for a minimum of one academic year. However, a student currently enrolled in an Outreach College course who is notified of an academic dismissal after the authorized period for withdrawal without cause may complete the Outreach College term.

The following conditions apply to students who have been dismissed one or more years:

  1. To apply for readmission as a classified or unclassified student at UH Manoa, the student should do so on the admissions application form, following established procedures and deadlines. The student must meet the standard admission criteria applicable to all students. The Colleges of Arts and Sciences require a written statement from the student explaining the circumstances of the dismissal and a rationale for reinstatement. If readmitted, the student is placed on academic probation and must meet established terms of probation;
  2. To enroll in UH Manoa’s Outreach College, the student is eligible if he or she has attended any UH system campus or other regionally accredited college or university subsequent to the dismissal and earned a cumulative post-dismissal GPA of 2.0 or better for a minimum of 12 earned credits. Transcripts will be required to establish eligibility; or
  3. To enroll in UH Manoa’s Outreach College, the student who has not earned a cumulative post-dismissal GPA of 2.0 or better for a minimum of 12 earned credits at another UH system campus or other regionally accredited college or university subsequent to dismissal may petition the dean of Outreach College for special enrollment consideration.

Other Provisions

Upon finding that a student is suffering from a physical or mental condition detrimental to the student or to the UH, the dean of student services will, on medical advice, recommend proper action to the appropriate college or school’s student academic services dean. The dean may request that the student be withdrawn officially, without prejudice or academic penalty. Readmission is contingent upon review and recommendation by the college or school’s student academic services dean and the dean of student services.

Leave of Absence

Continuing classified undergraduate students may apply for a leave of absence for a specified period of one or two semesters if they (1) have just completed their prior semester (fall or spring) at UH Manoa, (2) are in good academic standing (neither on probation nor subject to suspension or dismissal) and (3) are not enrolled at any institution.

Students may not take more than two regular semesters of leave before graduation; additional semesters of leave will be granted only under extenuating circumstances. The granting of a leave of absence indicates a continuing relationship with UH Manoa and allows students to resume studies at a specific time without applying for readmission. Students who take a leave of absence will continue to be subject to the core, major, and graduation requirements in effect at the time their leave began.

Students have two options for taking an official leave of absence: (1) a planned leave and (2) a leave taken at the time of withdrawal from UH Manoa. To apply for a planned leave for the upcoming semester, students should submit an application for leave of absence prior to the beginning of the semester in which the leave is to be taken. Application for a leave can also be submitted at the time of complete withdrawal from UH Manoa. Applications for a leave of absence are available in the student academic services office at the student’s college or school. The date of return from leave must be specified at the time of application.

Students who do not reenroll at UH Manoa at the end of their leave of absence will be considered to have withdrawn without notice; they will be required to apply for readmission to UH Manoa and will be subject to the core, major, and graduation requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

Students should be aware that taking a leave of absence may affect their residency status and eligibility for programs such as financial aid, intercollegiate athletics, etc. Upon return from an approved leave of absence, students may also find that registration in courses with fixed faculty/student ratios may be dependent upon availability of space.