Home About UH Academic Calendar Courses Undergraduate Education Graduate Education Degrees, Minors, & Certificates Colleges, Schools, & Academic Units

















Registration and Enrollment

Registration Procedures

Registration is open to those students formally admitted to UH Manoa by the appropriate admissions office and to students in good standing who are continuing in an approved program of study. Students who have graduated, withdrawn or have not been continuously enrolled must complete the admission process before being permitted to register. New, transfer, and returning classified students who are admitted to UH Manoa are required to pay a nonrefundable, nontransferable tuition deposit to confirm their admitted status. Admitted students may be barred from registration until they have complied with all UH requirements, including but not limited to medical clearances, the purchase of health insurance by nonimmigrant foreign students, and required English language placement testing. Students may also be barred from registering until they have cleared all academic or financial obligations.

Students are given specific appointment times in which to register. All registration activity is conducted by personal computer through the World Wide Web. The MyUH Portal website at: myuhportal.hawaii.edu provides the UH community with secure, personalized access to enrollment services such as registration. Each student’s registration time will be available through the MyUH Portal approximately two weeks before registration.

Information on registration procedures is contained in the Schedule of Classes booklet, which includes registration dates, registration instructions, and the time and place of course meetings. The Schedule of Classes is distributed by the Admissions and Records Office and is available shortly before registration begins each fall and spring semester. The Schedule of Classes is also available on the UH Manoa Registration Homepage: www.hawaii.edu/myuh/manoa.

Unclassified students and auditors register after classified students.

Registration is not complete unless all tuition and fees have been paid by the payment deadline.


Auditors are regularly admitted students who enroll for informational instruction only and attend classes with the consent of the instructor. Auditors receive no credit, and they do not take course examinations. The extent of their classroom participation is at the instructor’s discretion. Auditors are not generally allowed in art studios, laboratory science, mathematics, elementary and intermediate Hawaiian and foreign languages, creative writing, English composition, physical education, speech and other performance courses, or in classes where they might displace credit students. Audit courses are entered on student transcripts with a grade of L and are subject to regular tuition and fee charges. Audit courses are not counted in determining a student’s enrollment status.

Late Registration

Students who failed to register during the designated registration period may still register for credit during the first 10 calendar days of instruction (see the “Calendar”). There is a fee for late registration.

Maximum Registration

Undergraduate and post-baccalaureate unclassified students who request enrollment in 20 or more credit hours of work in any semester must obtain special approval from their college student academic services office and process their changes during the Change of Registration period after instruction begins. Students may not register for courses in Outreach College, for credit or audit, in excess of the maximum registration allowed by the college or school in which they are enrolled unless given permission for an overload by the college or school.

Enrollment Status

For academic purposes, students may be classified as either part-time or full-time students. A full-time undergraduate carries a minimum of 12 credit hours. Undergraduate students carrying fewer than 12 credits are classified as part-time. Audited courses are not counted in determining the enrollment status of a student.

Change of College or Major

Classified students may apply for transfer from one college to another during the fall or the spring semester. Application for transfer must be made on a form supplied by the student academic services office of the college or school that the student wishes to enter. The application must be approved by the dean of that college or school. Deadlines for transfers within UH Manoa are determined by individual student academic services offices. Contact the college or school directly for deadlines. Students planning to transfer into professional schools should consult the dean’s office for deadlines. Students wishing to enter the College of Education should follow the procedures specific to that college.

Changes of college, school, curriculum, or major are not permitted during registration periods.

Unclassified students who wish to become degree candidates must complete the regular application process.

Changes in Registration

All deadlines for adding courses, partial withdrawal, or complete withdrawal are subject to change. Refer to the current Schedule of Classes/UH Manoa Registration Homepage for applicable deadlines and procedures.

To Add a Course

Courses may be added during the first 10 calendar days of instruction.

To Drop a Course (Partial Withdrawal)

A course may be dropped through the sixth day of instruction without notation on the student’s record. Thereafter, grades of W will be posted. The colleges and schools differ in their policies, but, in general, a course may be dropped from the seventh day of instruction up to Friday of the ninth week of instruction with the consent of the instructor and the approval of the student’s college or school dean.

After the ninth week no withdrawals are permitted except for unusual or extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student. These withdrawals require the consent of the student’s college or school dean, and consent may be given only after the dean consults the instructor.

If students do not officially complete the withdrawal procedure, an F or NC, as appropriate, may be awarded by the instructor in place of a passing grade.

Complete Withdrawal

Students withdrawing completely from UH Manoa up to the sixth day of instruction will have this withdrawal action, but not their course registration, noted on their records. These students will not have a W grade for each course noted on their records.

Students withdrawing completely from UH Manoa from the seventh day through the ninth week of instruction will have a W grade for each course noted on their records.

After the ninth week complete withdrawals are not permitted except for unusual or extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student. These withdrawals require the approval of the student’s college or school dean. Students who receive approval will also have a W grade for each course noted on their records.

Applications for complete withdrawal are available at the student academic services office of the student’s college or school. Signatures as indicated on the form must be obtained, and the completed form must be turned in to the UH Manoa Cashier’s Office. The official date of withdrawal is the date recorded by the Cashier’s Office.

The refund schedule for withdrawals is noted in the “Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid” section of this Catalog.

When withdrawing, a continuing, classified undergraduate student who has completed at least one semester at UH Manoa may choose to apply for a leave of absence. Students who do not obtain a leave of absence are required to apply for readmission by submitting the Common Application Form to the Admissions and Records Office by the specified deadline and be readmitted before they register.