Home About UH Academic Calendar Courses Undergraduate Education Graduate Education Degrees, Minors, & Certificates Colleges, Schools, & Academic Units


General Information


Undergraduate Programs

Graduate Programs

Instructional and Research Facilities

Student Organizations

Honors and Awards

Family and Consumer Sciences

Apparel Product Design & Merchandising Program

Family Resources Program

Human Nutrition, Food, and Animal Sciences

Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering

Natural Resources and Environmental Management

Plant and Environmental Biotechnology Program

Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences

College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Graduate Programs

Graduate studies leading to a master of science degree are available in nine fields: animal sciences; biological engineering; entomology; food sciences; molecular biosciences and biological engineering; natural resources and environmental management; nutritional science; tropical plant pathology; and tropical plant and soil sciences. Doctor of philosophy programs are available in six fields: tropical plant pathology, molecular biosciences and bioengineering, entomology, natural resources and environmental management, nutrition, and tropical plant and soil sciences.

Three of CTAHR’s graduate programs in tropical agriculture (entomology, natural resources and environmental management, and tropical plant and soil sciences), have been recognized as distinctive programs by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). Qualified students from participating states may enroll in these graduate programs at Hawai‘i-resident tuition rates.

CTAHR utilizes general UH Manoa facilities, including the libraries, which offer extensive collections and information services, and the computing center, which provides access to individual computers as well as large mainframes. Along with the Pacific Biomedical Research Center, CTAHR sponsors the Biotechnology-Molecular Biology Instrumentation Facility for the benefit of researchers throughout UH Manoa. The college’s facilities include a microcomputer laboratory, several research stations, and specialized laboratories with state-of-the-art equipment, all of which support research and instruction in the food and life sciences. On-campus affiliations with the Hawai‘i Institute of Marine Biology, Water Resources Research Center, East-West Center, Harold L. Lyon Arboretum, Sea Grant College Program, and Hawai‘i Natural Energy Institute extend CTAHR’s resources. The college is also affiliated closely with off-campus institutions, such as the Bernice P. Bishop Museum, USDA/ARS Tropical Fruit and Vegetable Research Laboratory, Hawai‘i Agriculture Research Center, U.S. Geological Survey, National Marine Fisheries Service, and Hawai‘i Department of Agriculture.

Students may contact individual departments, the Graduate Division, 2540 Maile Way, Spalding Hall, Honolulu, HI 96822, or Financial Aid Services, 2600 Campus Road, Honolulu, HI 96822 for information on grants, fellowships, assistantships, scholarships, tuition waivers, loans, work-study programs, and job opportunities.

Information on CTAHR graduate programs can be obtained from the Office of Academic and Student Affairs, Gilmore 210, (808) 956-8183, or from departmental offices.

Admission Requirements

Students must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. college or university or its equivalent from a recognized foreign institution of higher learning. Admission requirements for various graduate programs are specified under each depart-ment’s description. Admission decisions are made by the Grad-uate Division in consultation with faculty in the field of study.

College Requirements

The requirements associated with the master of science degree vary with each program of study. The master of science Plan A (thesis) and Plan B (non-thesis) options are available in all programs; entomology, tropical plant pathology, and tropical plant and soil sciences programs also offer a Plan C (examinations) option.

The PhD degree culminates in a set of comprehensive and final examinations and a dissertation of original work. Special requirements exist in some fields of study. Contact the Graduate Division or the departments for additional information.