Home About UH Academic Calendar Courses Undergraduate Education Graduate Education Degrees, Minors, & Certificates Colleges, Schools, & Academic Units



Student Responsibilities


Application Procedures and Deadlines

Standardized Examinations

Additional Requirements and Information

Summer Session


Enrollment Requirements

Credit Hours


Requirements for Continued Registration


Degree Checks

Conferring of Degrees







Classification of Students

Only students who have been admitted to an advanced degree, certificate program, or special non-degree program by the Graduate Division are designated as classified (regular, provisional, or special non-degree) graduate students.

Regular Graduate Student

An applicant will be eligible for admission as a “regular” classified graduate student if he or she has the following:

  1. A GPA of 3.0 or better in the last four semesters or approximately 60 semester credits (or the equivalent in quarter credits) of work as an undergraduate;
  2. A master's degree with a GPA of 3.0 or better; or
  3. A GPA of 3.0 or better in at least 12 credit hours of relevant upper division and/or graduate-level post-baccalaureate work.

Students who have taken courses after receiving a bachelor's degree and whose GPA for 12 or more credit hours of upper division and/or graduate-level post-baccalaureate work is below 3.0 are not generally admissable even if they meet the minimum GPA requirements in category 1. International students with a GPA of less than a B average in their undergraduate work and/or less than a B average in 12 credit hours of post-baccalaureate work are generally not admissable.

Provisional Graduate Student

Students whose bachelor's and/or master's degrees were incomplete at the time they filed applications for admission are "provisional" graduate students. They must submit an official transcript certifying completion of their degree to the Graduate Division Admissions Office. This must be submitted within 60 days after the award of the degree. Registration will be denied for the following semester to those who fail to meet this requirement.

Special Non-degree Graduate Students

Special non-degree graduate students are admitted by the Graduate Division as classified graduate students for a specified program of study, research, or training without degree objectives for a limited period of time (usually one year) under the sponsorship of an educational institution or government agency.

Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified Students

Individuals who wish to take UH Manoa courses as a post-baccalaureate unclassified (PBU) student, must apply to the Graduate Admissions Office, University of Hawai'i at Manoa, 2540 Maile Way, Spalding Hall 354, Honolulu, HI 96822. (International applicants on an F-1 Student VISA are not eligible to apply.)

Students must submit an on-line application, application fee, and an official transcript verifying degree conferral of a bachelor's degree or advanced degree, from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university or its equivalent from a recognized foreign institution of higher learning. Applicants who received their bachelor's degree from a foreign institution are also required to submit official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Modules test results.

Applicants may download the PBU application from the Graduate Studies website at manoa.hawaii.edu/graduate or complete the graduate on-line application and select Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified as their intended program. Admission as an unclassified post-baccalaureate student does not constitute admissions as a classified student, nor does it guarantee future admissions as a classified student to a degree program. PBU students may not be eligible for certain benefits and services such as Veterans Affairs benefits, social security benefits, some types of federal financial aid, etc. PBU students are subject to graduate tuition rates. PBU students will need approval to take 500-800 level courses at UH Manoa.

Summer Session

Students who take course work at the graduate level in a summer session but who have not been admitted to an advanced degree program at UH Manoa register as post-baccalaureate unclassified students. However, appropriate but limited credit hours earned from summer session courses while in unclassified status prior to admission to the Graduate Division are countable toward an advanced degree at the recommendation of the graduate programs involved. See "Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified Students" above.

Application for admission to a summer session should be made to Outreach College, University of Hawai'i at Manoa, 2440 Campus Road, Box 447, Honolulu, HI 96822. Admission to a summer session does not imply or guarantee eventual admission to the Graduate Division.