Hawaiian or Second Language (HSL)
Undergraduate Advising Offices
Undergraduate General Education Requirements
To graduate from UH Manoa, a student must satisfy (a) General Education requirements, (b) requirements of the student's college or school, and (c) requirements of the student's specific academic major. (Consulting his or her college/school advising office can help a student select courses that simultaneously satisfy more than one requirement.) This section of the Catalog describes the UH Manoa General Education requirements:
- Hawaiian or Second Language
Foundations and Diversification together are UH Manoa Core requirements. Focus and Hawaiian or Second Language together are UH Manoa Special Graduation requirements.
Students who transfer to UH Manoa having completed the Foundations/Basic requirements at another UH system school are considered to have fulfilled UH Manoa Foundations requirements. Students who transfer to UH Manoa having completed the Diversification/Area requirements at another UH system school are considered to have fulfilled UH Manoa Diversification requirements. Finally, students who transfer to UH Manoa having completed both the Foundations/Basic and the Diversification/area requirements at another UH system school are considered to have fulfilled the UH Manoa Core (Foundations and Diversification) requirements.
A grade of D (not D-) or higher is required for a course to fulfill General Education requirements. The Credit/No Credit option is not allowed for any course taken to fulfill a General Education requirement, with the exception of those courses offered only for CR/NC. (See “Grades”
for additional information.)
General Education Overview
UH Manoa Core Requirements
1. Foundations Requirements
- Written Communication (FW*; 3 credits)
- Symbolic Reasoning (FS*; 3 credits)
- Global and Multicultural Perspectives (FGA, FGB, FGC*; 6 credits)
2. Diversification Requirements
- Arts, Humanities, and Literatures (6 credits from 2 categories)
– Arts (DA*)
– Humanities (DH*)
– Literatures (DL*)
- Social Sciences (DS*; 6 credits)
- Natural Sciences (3 credits biological science, 3 credits physical
science, 1 credit science lab)
–Biological Science (DB*)
–Physical Science (DP*)
–Laboratory (science) (DY*)
UH Manoa Special Graduation Requirements
3. Focus Requirements
- Hawaiian, Asian, & Pacific Issues (H or HAP**; 1 course, any level)
- Contemporary Ethical Issues (E or ETH**; 1 course, 300- or 400-level)
- Oral Communication (O or OC**; 1 course, 300- or 400-level)
- Writing Intensive (W or WI**; 5 courses, at least two of which are at the 300- or 400-level)
4. Hawaiian or Second Language (HSL*; competence at the
(Some colleges/schools have waived or modified this requirement.
Consult your college/school advisor.)
* These abbreviations appear after course descriptions to identify courses
that meet specific requirements. See the “Courses”
section in this Catalog to view course descriptions.
** The STAR Degree Check indicates Focus classes by "H," "E," "O," and "W." "Check Class Availability"on the UH Manoa Registration home-page, www.hawaii.edu/myuh/manoa indicates Focus sections with "HAP," "ETH," "OC," and "WI."