Home About UH Academic Calendar Courses Undergraduate Education Graduate Education Degrees, Minors, & Certificates Colleges, Schools, & Academic Units


Degree, Minors and Certificates Offered

General Information

Accreditations and Affiliations

Certificate Programs


Undergraduate Programs

Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees from the Colleges of Arts and Sciences

UH Manoa General Education Core Requirements

UH Manoa Graduation Requirements

A&S College Requirements

A&S Degree Requirements

A&S Major Requirements

Second or Multiple Majors and Minors

Second Baccalaureate Degree

Professional Programs

Graduate Programs

Student Organizations

Honors and Awards

Instructional and Research Facilities

Center for Biographical Research

Center for Interpretation and Translation Studies

Center for Language and Technology

National Foreign Language Resource Center


Colleges of Arts and Sciences

Multiple Majors/Degrees and Minors

A&S students are encouraged to consider applying for additional majors/degrees, minors, certificates, or a combination. Pursuing additional academic fields of study can benefit students in many ways, including the opportunity to discover relationships across disciplines, develop diverse perspectives, strengthen one's appreciation for the acquisition of knowledge in more than one academic field, and enhance one's ability to problem solve and communicate in a variety of settings.

To be eligible, applicants for multiple majors/degrees and minors must be:

  • enrolled as a classified student in an Arts and Sciences College;
  • in good academic standing (have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher); and
  • able to complete all requirements and still graduate in a timely manner.

To add a minor or certificate, students submit a "Certification of Minor" form. The colleges offer minors in 29 disciplines and certificates in 45 disciplines. Most minors and certificates require a minimum of 15 credits of non-introductory and upper division level course work, completed with a grade of C (not C-) or better.

To apply for multiple majors/degrees, students submit the following to the college advising office of their intended additional major:

  • Application to pursue multiple majors/degrees;
  • An academic plan showing timely graduation; and
  • A brief formal, written statement explaining motivation.

Second Major Option

Students who have already completed a baccalaureate degree and wish to add another major (rather than a complete second baccalaureate degree) should enroll as a Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified (PBU) student. Students interested in pursuing the post-baccalaureate Second Major Option should meet with an undergraduate advisor in the relevant department to request permission and to identify remaining requirements for the major.

Second Baccalaureate Degree

Priority for admission into any Arts and Sciences baccalaureate program is given to students seeking their first undergraduate degree. Applications must be received by the Office of Admissions by the established deadlines.

Applicants must meet all admission requirements for the degree program to which they are applying. Applications for a second baccalaureate degree will be considered only if there is a demonstrable difference in curricula and objectives between the two degrees and majors. Course work used towards a major/minor/certificate in the first degree cannot be used to satisfy major/minor/certificate requirements in the second degree, unless specific courses are required in both. Second degree students must earn a minimum of 30 credits in courses taken at UH Manoa after admission as a second baccalaureate degree candidate while continuously enrolled in the colleges, and must satisfy all program requirements current at the time of official admission into the program. For more information, see the appropriate college advising office of the intended second degree program.