skip to Main Content 2017-18 University of Hawaii at Manoa Catalog main menu
Home About UH Academic Calendar Courses Undergraduate Education Graduate Education Degrees, Minors, & Certificates Colleges, Schools, & Academic Units


Tuition, Fees, and Expenses

Regular Tuition Schedule 2016-2017

Additional Fees and Expenses

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Financial Obligations

Refunds of Tuition and Fees

WICHE Programs




Tuition, Fees, and Expenses

Residency for Tuition Purposes

Students who do not qualify on the first day of instruction as bona fideresidents of the state of Hawai‘i for tuition purposes pay the nonresident tuition. An official determination of residency status is made at the time of application. Applicants may be required to provide documentation to verify residency status. Once classified as a nonresident, students continue to be so classified during their enrollment at UH Manoa until they present satisfactory evidence to the residency officer that proves residency. For definition of Hawai‘i residency for tuition purposes, statutory exemptions, etc., refer to the “Campus Policies” section.

WICHE Programs

Bachman Annex 9-6
2444 Dole Street
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-6625

UH Manoa participates in three exchange programs of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE).

Through the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program, a limited number of students from participating states who are not residents of Hawai‘i may enroll at UH Manoa in designated programs at a 150% resident tuition (plus other fees that are paid by all students). WUE students do not pay the higher charge for nonresident tuition. (Hawai‘i residents may enroll under the same terms in designated institutions and programs in other participating states.) Hawai‘i residents may obtain information about WUE programs in other states from the WICHE Certifying Officer for Hawai‘i (see the location above); from participating institutions; or at

The John A. Burns School of Medicine participates in the WICHE-administered Professional Student Exchange Program (PSEP). PSEP allows legal residents of the states of Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming (states without a public professional school in a health care field to enjoy Hawai‘i-resident status for admission and tuition purposes at UH Manoa. Students who are pursuing graduate degrees in Asian and Comparative Philosophy, Asian Theatre and Dance, Communication and Information Sciences, East Asian Languages and Literatures, Natural Resources and Environmental Management, Oceanography, Second Language Studies, Tropical Entomology, Tropical Medicine, Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences, and Urban and Regional Planning are eligible for resident tuition under the WICHE Program. Students who receive certification from their home states receive preferential admission consideration and, if accepted, are charged Hawai‘i-resident tuition rates. To be certified for PSEP, students must apply to the WICHE certifying officer in their home state before October 15 the year prior to admission. State eligibility requirements vary, and the number of students funded by each state depends upon appropriations by the state’s legislature. For addresses of state certifying officers, visit

UH Manoa also participates in the WICHE Regional Graduate Program. Under this arrangement, legal residents of the other WICHE member states (AK, AZ, CA, CO, ID, MT, ND, NV, NM, OR, SD, UT, WA, WY) will be charged resident tuition if they are exceptional candidates for admission in specific graduate programs. Approved fields are Asian and Comparative Philosophy, Asian Theatre and Dance (MA and MFA, and PhD), Communication and Information Sciences (PhD), East Asian Languages and Literatures (MA and PhD), Natural Resources and Environmental Management (MS and PhD), Oceanography (MS and PHD), Pacific Island Studies (MA), Second Language Studies (MA and PhD), Tropical Entomology (MS and PhD), Tropical Medicine in the biomedical sciences (MS and PhD), Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences (MS and PhD), and Urban and Regional Planning (MA and PhD). For detailed information, contact the appropriate graduate chair or see the respective field of study listings at the Office of Graduate Education or visit

2017-18 University of Hawaii at Manoa Catalog footer